Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Technology has changed my life...


How has technology changed your lives - for the better or worse? What types of technology do you currently use, daily, weekly, sometimes & what one technology could you not live without and why?



Technology has changed my life and the lives of my family members for the better, in most cases. I use computer technology to do my banking and online shopping, make air and hotel travel arrangements through web sites such as Travelocity, send e-invitations and to keep touch with others through linkedin. I don't know what I'd do without my favorite cooking web site allrecipes.com! We have a Macintosh network at home, including several laptops and a desktop, which are used to run our home business, manage household operations and homework. My kids use it for all of their social networking, including tweeting and Facebook postings and applications that I have never heard of! Sometimes, I think this is a drawback for them socially, but, they disagree! My family uses Smart Phones to send text messages and links to videos to one another. The ability to communicate electronically is very useful when it comes to keeping in touch with my son who is away at college in Florida and for keeping track of schedule changes and pickup times for my other kids.  I find it amusing that they always respond to my text messages, but, completely ignore my phone calls! My husband, who is a building contractor, uses his new IPhone 5 that he got as a Christmas gift to send and receive contractor's blue prints and plans as well as the faxing and email capabilities, that he didn't have with his "old-fashioned" phone. We tease him because he is the least tech-saavy individual any of us know!

The one technology I couldn't live without? Internet access - hand's down.

Why? Because it is my connection to the world. I don't care what means I use to access the internet, but I have to have something. I don't discriminate. It could be a desktop computer, my laptop, a borrowed smart phone... I'm not picky, but I need to see that wireless icon at the top of my screen!

No comments:

Post a Comment