Monday, April 8, 2013

PBS Video Post - Integrating Technology Into the Classroom?

Week 1 Blog Post about the PBS video


I have mixed feelings about this video. I understand it was meant to jolt the viewer into taking action with respect to introducing or increasing the use of technology in the classroom. The video served the purpose of making me think of the implications of not using technology and allowing my students to descend into an educational abyss. It was successful in that it grabbed my attention, but I think it was one-sided. Although, technology serves a pivotal role in the classroom, it does not take the place of traditional learning as I believe young students need to first acquire the basic skills of reading, writing, language, information exchange and socialization.

I think that the use of technology needs to be viewed as a learning tool. It's a powerful and almost limitless tool, but one of many that an effective teacher has at his disposal. It is imperative that the teacher carefully consider the software that is best suited to the needs of his students in terms of their age and ability, as well as the appropriateness of the content in which he is teaching. It is important that those making the technology decisions have clearly-defined goals as to what they plan to achieve and those that are charged with instruction are well-trained in using the technology to achieve those goals.
In the article "Bridging the Gap between technology and Common Core Standards",  the author outlines the value of technology with respect to The Common Core Standards. However, he goes on suggest possible pitfalls in terms of academic dishonesty or students inadvertently ending up on inappropriate web sites. In addition to those points, it is my opinion that students can become dependent upon technology in terms of academic research and can become lazy. I've witnessed my own children quickly "Googling" answers to homework questions, without understanding the context of what they are learning or even if the answers they stumbled upon are correct!

I do think that there are some phenomenal uses for technology. I love the idea of using kidblogs in classrooms with international participation, for example. How cool is that? It is sort of like the Pen Pal connection of the 21st century. It broadens the students world by teaching them about other cultures. Add a video component such as Skype, and it makes the world come alive! This goes far beyond the limits of a dry text book! We live in a global society and this is the world these kids are growing up in. Also, I have seen interactive online tutorials for Math classes that I find are very engaging and helpful to kids as a supplement to their classroom learning. There are virtual maps that help with Geography. There are so many good examples of the use of technology in the classroom, but they should be used with careful planning and consideration.




3 comments:

  1. "It is imperative that the teacher carefully consider the software that is best suited to the needs of his students in terms of their age and ability, as well as the appropriateness of the content in which he is teaching." I love your thoughts here. I agree with you that the technology must be carefully planned into the assignment and not just thrown together for a "fun" factor. It is also very important to make sure that the technology can withstand the learning curve of the students you are working with. It definitely has some downsides but can be so rewarding when you see the final creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed and appreciate hearing your voice through this blog post, Katie. While reading, I felt as if I was part of a personal conversation that was engaging, but at the same time insightful and productive to this topic we are discussing in class. This is a great balance that you have!

    My own thinking was inspired about your statement about technology being “a powerful and almost limitless tool.” To me, this statement says that technology has a limitless benefit to the classroom, but - as you also mention – on the other side, this quality of technology also indicates that there is no limit to the possibilities of negative impacts. This means that there also needs to two sides as to how technology is integrated. Educational leaders need to set guidelines, goals and standards, but there also needs to be some freedom for both the teachers and learners to as how the technology is integrated in their classrooms and learning environment.

    - Ashley Bouchard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comments about proper use of technology in the classroom. As a technology integrator in my school, in addition to teaching my own technology classes, I do assist other teachers on how to properly integrate technology into their academic classrooms. I agree with your statement “It is important that those making the technology decisions have clearly defined goals as to what they plan to achieve and those that are charged with instruction are well-trained in using technology to achieve those goals”. Just using technology so you can say “see I’m integrating” with no plan on how to use it, and how it engages and promotes learning, just doesn’t work. The successful technology integration in my school works well when core teachers and technology integrators work together to plan, and implement technology rich lessons. Typically I team teach the technology lessons with the core teachers. I enjoyed your viewpoints, great points to think about.

    ReplyDelete